Friday 18 March 2011

Autumn has befallen us

In the opening scene of Kaufman's Synecdoche,  New York, one can just make out Rainer Maria Rilke's poem Autumn Day on the radio. Within the film it has it's own allusions to the protagonist's outcome.
In extracting my blog title from the poem, I mean it to project upon my blog something of what I feel Rilke's description of Autumn is: a dynamic entity, with the power to overthrow the Summer,  yet possessed with all the reflective solitude of Winter that it carries in it's wake.
I guess I'd like to achieve that force in the flow of my ideas in this medium.. 


Lord: it is time. The summer was immense.
Lay your shadow on the sundials,
and in the fields let the wind loose.

Bid the last fruits to be full;
give them two more southerly days,
urge them on to fulfillment and drive
the last sweetness into the heavy wine.

Whoever has no house will build none.
Whoever is alone will stay alone,
will wake, read, write long letters
and wander the alleys up and down
restlessly, when the leaves are blowing.

—Rainer Maria Rilke (1902)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home